Food for thought #1 How small are we really?

Monday, October 26, 2015



For my 200th blog post (yay!) I'm going to start a new weekly blog post. I'm calling it 'Food for thought', because it's supposed to make you think. And thinking is a powerful tool that humans have. Whatever happened to asking questions when were kids? Why is the sky blue? Why do I bleed? Now that we have answers to these simple questions it's time to ask the bigger questions.

To start this new chapter with a bang, let's talk about how small we really are.
I know, it sounds funny. Looking around you, you don't seem small. There are animals smaller than you, insects, bacteria, etc. But if you look at the big picture, you are small. We are so tiny compared to the universe. The universe, is insane. Think about it, really think about how big the universe is.

We have Earth, which is huge already (196.9 million sq miles to be exact) and that's just the beginning. Our Solar System stretches out to almost 2 light-years. I can't even explain how big a light year is. If you google it you'll see what I'm talking about. 

Anyway so we got earth and then the solar system, and then we have our Milky Way galaxy that has a ton of other solar systems. How big is the milky way? Well it's only 100,000 light years across. That may seem a lot but not compared to other galaxies that can reach millions of light years in diameter. That is insane! 

And finally we have the universe. And how big is the universe? Well according to space.com and other awesome space websites, the universe is pretty much infinite. It is so enormous we can't even measure it! That's crazy! And it's still expanding, so there really is no possible answer. That is how big the universe is. But it doesn't stop there. There are theories that there is much more than our universe. There could be other universes, other dimensions! I can't even wrap my head around how many possibilities there are. It is insane to me how big the universe is. So that goes back to our original thought.



How small are we?

We are so tiny compared to everything else. It's amazing!  Even though we are minuscule to everything else in the universe, we still matter. We are the only known planet that has an abundance of life. The only species that has this amazing complex mind. It is incredible that we are here, alive and thriving in the universe. How many events had to occur to create human life? Well, that's another food for thought question.

So when life doesn't go the way you planned, just think about how big the universe is. Think how small our problems really are. And appreciate the fact that we get a chance to live. 

I hope you enjoyed this new category on my blog. I'm going to be posting one of these every week. I'm determined to actually stick to it this time! I feel like I'm writing more things I'm interested in, and that makes me happy and more passionate to write!

Cool Space Articles:
Space.com - How Big is the Universe
Nasa- How Big is Our Universe
IFL SciThe Next 209 Seconds Will Blow Your Mind
 post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment